Go Back   Fast Bikes > Fast Bikes > Gear & Clothing

Old 04-04-2012, 11:42 AM

Thumbs up Michelin Pilot Road 3 tyres

Well, after debating the Michelin Pilot Road 2 tyres for an eternity, I finally decided to get the Michelin Pilot Road 3's instead

For my trusty K1 I wanted to get:

Front: 120/70 ZR17 58W

Rear: 180/55 ZR17 73W

Shopped around online for a bit, the usual places, tried Demon Tweaks, M&P / Busters, etc, all came in at around 250 to 260 delivered.

Once I'd found somewhere cheap, I then needed to find someone to fit them.

That's when I stumbled upon B & C Performance Tyres in Farnworth, Bolton.

Sent an email to them via their online contact us form asking how much to supply and fit (rather than having to order online, get them over to the shop in the car, then back again on the bike etc)

Anyway, a top bloke called Barney got back to me saying they were on offer at the moment, 216 supplied, fitted, balanced and new valves.

BARGAIN!

Went over today to get them sorted. Couldn't have picked a worse day, cold, wet, wind (MY GOD THE WIND!!), rain and even snow (this time last week I was getting sun burnt!).

Arrived at 10am, freezing my arse off. The top blokes at B & C Performance Tyres sorted that by giving me a hot drink while I waited. They even gave me a Michelin PR3 keyring which is a tyre with the same (funky) tread pattern on!

Chatted to the blokes in there about the usual stuff (weather, MotoGP, bikes in general, etc) and half an hour later I was off.

Before I went though, they pointed at a poster on the wall saying Michelin are doing 25 cash back till the end of the month which makes the tyres even cheaper still.

So, first of all, here's a TOP recommendation for the blokes over at B & C Performance Tyres in Farnworth, can't recommend them enough and second of all, give me a hundred miles to scrub the PR3's in and I'll let you know how they fair!
Suzuki GSXR 600 K1 - Pipewerx GP3 Exhaust - Seat Cowl - Rear Pegs Removed - R&G Tail Tidy - Clear LED Rear Lights - Brake Light Flasher - iPhone Stem Kit - Pyramid Hugger - Skidmarx Undertray - Small Plate, Flush Front Indys (Irid) - Small Rear Indys (Irid) - Skidmarx DB Irid Screen, R&G Bar Ends - DIY Tracker - Michelin Pilot Road 3 Hoops.

http://www.MotorwayCameras.co.uk - SEE the traffic! View over 1,400 live motorway CCTV camera images from all over England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland

Last edited by Rich; 04-04-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:44 AM

Cool

That funky tread pattern:

Suzuki GSXR 600 K1 - Pipewerx GP3 Exhaust - Seat Cowl - Rear Pegs Removed - R&G Tail Tidy - Clear LED Rear Lights - Brake Light Flasher - iPhone Stem Kit - Pyramid Hugger - Skidmarx Undertray - Small Plate, Flush Front Indys (Irid) - Small Rear Indys (Irid) - Skidmarx DB Irid Screen, R&G Bar Ends - DIY Tracker - Michelin Pilot Road 3 Hoops.

http://www.MotorwayCameras.co.uk - SEE the traffic! View over 1,400 live motorway CCTV camera images from all over England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland
Old 04-04-2012, 06:53 PM

My word, they are VERY pretty hoops aren't they?
How are you finding them Rich?
Old 04-04-2012, 07:37 PM

Well, the ride home was fantastic (apart from the weather).

I read that someone (Beej maybe?) said they tracked the road in the dry, but I didn't have that problem at all.

It was only 10 or 15 miles back to home so due to the snow in Bolton, the wind in Wigan, I took it real steady (honestly, I've NEVER ridden in wind like that in all my years) so it's a bit too early to tell yet.

What I did notice was a marked improvement over the old Avon Vipers, they were utter rubbish in the wet.

Give me a week or two, I'll let you all know how the PR3's are getting on

Old 04-04-2012, 07:43 PM

Good man - I am glad someone agreed with me today. I said when I got to work that I had NEVER ridden in winds like that. Had the biggest job holding her on my side of the road at times and when I crossed Menai bridge later in the day, I'll swear I was leaning at a hell of an angle just to ride in a straight line. It were right wicked it were
Old 04-14-2012, 05:52 PM

Hi, Am thinking about replacing the Sportsmarts on my KTM 990SMT with some of the Pilot Road 3's, how do you rate them so far ?
Old 04-14-2012, 06:02 PM

i cant remember why, but the words 'Sportsmart' and 'KTM' have alarm bells ringing in my head.. something about the front tyre not working?

Tags

michelin, pilot, pr3