Fancy spending a night with Barry’s family and friends to help raise much needed funds for CLIC Sargent? It’ll be at the Thistle Hotel, Brands Hatch, Saturday 7 August, during the BSB weekend, 7.30pm for 8pm, with a buffet dinner, raffle and an auction hosted by Barry’s best friend and team-mate Steve (Stavros) Parrish.
Tickets cost £25 and must be purchased in advance preferably via the website or send a cheque made out to “BSMC CLIC Sargent”, with a stamped addressed envelope to: Symor Skilbeck, 12 Balmossie Meadow, Broughty Ferry, Nr Dundee, DD5 3GG. Tickets will be sent two weeks prior to the event. Email Symor at email@example.com or call 01382 480161 or 07870 231020. Special guests on the night include Paul Smart and wife Maggie, Barry’s sister, nephew Scott Smart and friend James Whitham. Dress code is black T-shirt – “Barry never did like ties” says organiser Symor.
On display on the night will be Barry’s famous XR14 Suzuki RG500 and the OW53 Yamaha 500. On show also will be the new Icon Sheene ultrabike, a 200mph, 250bhp turbocharged work of art worth £107,000, which is dedicated to Barry. Owner and creator Andrew Morris will be on hand to chat about how the bike came to be. With the blessing of the family, in particular Stephanie, with product testing and riding by Freddie Sheene and Barry’s nephew
Scott Smart, all overseen by Steve Parrish, this bike was created using engineers and craftsmen who worked with Sheene in his glory days. For more information go to www.iconsheene.com
Auction prizes on the night include:
- A pillion ride with John Reynolds, on the Worx Suzuki GSXR, at the final round of the British Superbikes at Oulton Park, donated by Crescent Suzuki
- A BBC jacket donated by Steve Parrish and signed by him and all his fellow BBC TV presenters from MotoGP, plus various riders from the Grande Prix and this year’s TT.
- A framed, authenticated, signed picture of Barry riding the RG500
- A Fiat Yamaha team shirt, signed by Valentino Rossi, donated by the team
- A set of 2009 racing leathers donated by Chris Vermeulen
- Raffle prizes include:
- A Barry Sheene replica helmet, donated by Moto Direct, importers of AGV helmets
- A ‘Skills for Life’ voucher, donated by the Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM), for either bike or car, held at Mallory Park racing circuit.
- A ‘Skills Day’ voucher donated by the IAM, for either car or bike, taking place at Mallory Park
- A set of soft luggage donated by Infinity Motorcycles, York, comprising of tank bag, tail pack and panniers
The night is being organised by Symor Skilbeck, ex-army (22 years) and now working for Allianz Insurance in the engineering division, Symor has previously raised money for charities such as Cancer Research, Yorkshire Air Ambulance and GOSH (Great Ormond Street Children’s Hospital). “I just want to do something to help kids with cancer”, said Symor “we’ve got some great prizes in the auction and raffle, including leisure breaks, adventure activities and corporate hospitality days. It’s a lot of hard work organising such an event but it feels good doing something I know Barry would approve of.”
So if you’re a Sheene fan, or just want the chance to own a piece of history from the auction or raffle prizes, then book your place today, numbers are limited.
Visit the Barry Sheene websitte, and book your place now!