Valentino Rossi’s new PistaGP helmet is the first of a new generation of helmets that are borne out of the AGV STANDARDS project, a process aimed at improving protection, ergonomics and comfort for riders.
“I consider the PistaGP helmet a tribute to Gino Amisano, an entrepreneur I admired for his ability to innovate, the records he achieved, and the competitive spirit with which he faced every challenge. The new helmet is part of the AGV Standards project, which, in line with the qualities established by Amisano, revolutionises the way helmets are designed, setting new records for protection and ergonomics that are clearly evident. The next generation helmets arising from this project are intended to place AGV, once again, in a leading market position with its technology”, says Lino Dainese President of Dainese and AGV.
Enjoy more Fast Bikes reading in the monthly magazine.
Click here to subscribe & save.
The special feature of this helmet is the revolutionary way in which all the design stages were conceived: instead of drawing the helmet starting with the exterior shell, using a laser scan, the AGV STANDARDS project starts with the rider’s head, whose measurements are converted into a digital format. These measurements are used to design the helmet, from the inside to the outside, adopting state-of-the-art digital design technologies based on CAE/CAD methods. The structural components of the helmet are designed to obtain the required performances, minimizing measurements and weights. The helmet is therefore lighter and more compact than previous ones while offering better protection, ergonomics and comfort.
The AGV STANDARDS project, established in 2009 with Valentino Rossi as its leading rider, is ready to get on the track with the first PistaGP helmet.
- The residual impact force transmitted to the head is reduced by 36% compared to the limit established by ECE regulations.
- The HIC index is 48% below the limit established by ECE regulations.
- The basic visor movement area has been reduced by 71% compared to the GP-Tech helmet. This allows use of the space saved to increase the thickness of the absorption material, benefitting safety.
- The visor is Class 1 optical standard approved for excellent vision.
- The field of vision is 15° wider and the overall visor window area has increased by 9% compared to the previous helmet, without compromising its level of protection.
- The Z-Lift index has been reduced by 44% after wind tunnel tests.
- The air intakes have almost tripled in size, whereas the entire ventilation system of the PistaGP helmet removes heat and moisture very efficiently. The padding has a 3D concave structure, which is pre-shaped according to the morphological characteristics of the head, while the surfaces in direct contact with the head are free from stitching for guaranteed comfort.
- The fit of the PistaGP helmet, covered by three patents, provides an extraordinary high level of comfort and adaptability to different shapes, unknown up to now.
“I am very happy with the PistaGP, it feels like I am not wearing a helmet. Its aerodynamics have increased, with excellent ventilation and exaggerated visibility, like switching from the TV to the cinema”, says Valentino Rossi (the Honorary President of AGV, ahem). We’ll bring you a price as soon as we get it…Enjoy more Fast Bikes reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.