Mike checks in after the launch of the updated (for 2018) Yamaha R1M at Portimao, with five points on the fresh puppy, prior to the full review in issue 338, on sale 6th March!
1. Revised Öhlins Electronic Racing Suspension (ERS) not only lets you choose what rider mode you fancy, but allows full adjustment of the forks and shock with a flick of a switch. Full factory!
2. The same ‘Silver Blu Carbon’ colour scheme as the previous the R1M model (as well as SP models) looks even more trick than before with more carbon visible on the bodywork to drool over.
3. To make faffing with your settings a piece of cake the full colour TFT dash houses one of the most user friendly interfaces going, but better than that, you can connect your smartphone or tablet to the bike and adjust all the engine and suspension settings from the comfort of your sofa/the bar.
4. The noise that motor makes on full song, amplified by the Akra’ exhaust is something to behold. And if that’s not enough the smooth, torquey power delivery will have you grinning from ear to ear and holding on for dear life.
5. And my favourite bit: R1M will always oblige a power wheelie but with the new improved lift control (LIF) there is no need to roll the throttle or lean on the rear brake.
For single print/digital issues, plus subscription details, head right HERE
The full R1M review is out on the 6th March, issue 338!